Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ruined Surprise

This school year I have written every essay that I have assigned my English students. Just as a sort of "I-did-it-so-you-can-do-it-to" credibility thing. I think it's gone over very well, and the end result for me has been rewarding. I had forgotten what it was like to write for fun. I really enjoy the writing process, and narrative writing is one of my favorite kinds of writing, which, coincidentally, was our first essay to tackle this year.

I wrote one essay about my grandparent's farm and all the memories connected to it. These mainly involve my sister and my cousins and all our crazy adventures, which include: crazy billiards, leeches from the creek, forming a chain and grabbing a hot wire fence, and my foolish choice to jump up and down on a pseudo-frozen pond.

I was so pleased with how this essay turned out that I decided I would give it to my grandma (Ma-ma, if you must know her "real" name) for Christmas. Today, my parents and I visited Ma-ma down in Hobart. We were down there because Dad is preaching a revival at the church where he grew up.

While we were visiting, we were talking about school. I told Ma-ma that I was writing example essays for my English students.

Then Mom opened her mouth.

She asked, "Did you ever get to read that essay about the cousins?" She turned to me. "Now, where were you showing that essay before?" (I had shown this essay to one of my cousins at a wedding earlier this month.)

Ma-ma looked confused. "No, I haven't," she said.

I decided not to make a scene. "Well, Ma-ma, I'll have to bring that essay and show it to you at Thanksgiving," I said nonchalantly, hoping that she would forget between now and Christmas.

Meanwhile, my dad was in the doorway between the living room and the kitchen where he was getting a cup of coffee. He started to chuckle because he realized Mom had ruined the surprise.

"What?" Mom asked.

"Nothing," Dad smirked.

Mom and I had a good laugh on way out of Hobart. The good thing about this situation is that I get to hold this over her head for a couple weeks.

Told any more secrets today, Nancy?

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hi Mr. Stephenson!

Glad to see you on blogger as well. I have thought about writing my own assignments as well in the past...but you win the "Better Teacher" award on this one as I have yet to do it....! ;) Thanks for the comments on my new and improved blog! I shall add this blog to my lists! :)

Whitney said...

Jason! Hi! :) I am glad you are a blogger. It makes me smile. And your picture is TOO CUTE! Sweet little baby Jason. You were a cute kiddo.

Russell said...

I can sympathize with your mother Jason. I'm "that guy" who likes to stick his foot in his mouth quite frequently! I could tell you many a stories!