Monday, December 15, 2008

I Wanna Read What I Want

I am convinced that student choice belongs in my classroom. At the college level, no. At the high school level, yes. Is it so terrible that I just want my students to read?

One of my strongest students admitted today that he has not completely read any of the novels from this semester. Of course, I took this comment personally, which is silly. That student probably would not finish a book, even if he were given the choice.

But I gave an online anonymous survey today, and across the board, students agreed that the way to improve my class would be to add more student choice in the books that they read. I find this surprisingly because English teachers rarely do this in high school, yet I gave two "free" reading assignments this semester. And they still want more!

4 comments:

Erin said...

No surprise over here! Those are some of the most rewarding comments you can get--that they WANT to read and LIKE to read simply because they got to pick the book.

Even if they do all pick Twilight....! ;)

Erin said...

I got through the first chapter...and then lost interest! ;) Like I said, I really don't read much during the school year, so I might add it to my summer reading. We'll see....!

Russell said...

I'll have to admit Jason, I was that kid in high school. I am sure I would have gained more of an appreciation for it if I were given more choice in High School. I definitely wish now that I would have read more. That is why I am listeneing to books on tape as I drive every day to make up for the lost years of reading.

Erin said...

Hmmmmm, time for an update, perhaps? ;)