Friday, January 9, 2009

Attachment

I am hopelessly attached to some of my students. For some, this school year marks our fourth year in education together. I had them as little seventh graders and now I have them as sophomores with driver's licenses. I have had the opportunity to watch them grow up, whether or not I had them every year as a student.

Today in class I couldn't help but beam with pride as I read some of my students' reflective essays. The prompt was from the annual essay contest for the Oklahoma National Memorial and Museum. Students had to reflect on an occasion when they had to make an unpopular moral choice. I heard stories about saying no to drugs and alcohol. One girl described how she let an adult know about a rape that had happened--even though a friend had sworn her to secrecy. A simple story about turning in a lost wallet--with all its money still in tact--also moved me. And it wasn't just that these were good choices. It was that these were choices being made by my students. I was very, very proud of them.

Also, one of my favorite students told me today that he made a 30 on his ACT. Another reason for me to be proud. (I am definitely attached to him because he is one of two students who I have now had for four years in a row.) My first score on the ACT was also a 30, but that was when I was a junior in high school, but he is only a sophomore. I am excited to see what he does with his life.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I know that feeling of being attached. Sad to see (some of) them go.

;)

Mr. Stephenson said...

Ha ha. Yes, notice in my post that I did not say I was attached to ALL my students.