Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kite Runner Survey

At my high school where I teach, parents have recently called the appropriateness of The Kite Runner, a novel in the sophomore curriculum, into question. While I did not experience any problems with my students or their parents, the other two English II teachers did. I decided to perform a survey to determine how my students felt about the novel. I wish I had used SurveyMonkey, which would have analyzed the results for me. But I figured taking the survey in the computer lab would take way too much class time, so I had to tabulate the results myself.

Without further ado, I present to you the results of the survey.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

This is awesome, Jason! It's always refreshing to see an educator perform a legitimate assessment of what's going on in the classroom. Sounds like you've got some bright students!

Unknown said...

Thank you for bringing a multicultural awareness into a sophomore's understanding of the world around them. I am a public librarian that used to be involved with YA lit.groups. I presently have a church book discussion group, made up of mostly retired people, that loved the book. They continued with his 2nd, and loved it more! An intergenerational discussion would be interesting to see if different aspects such as the rape were more memorable to one group over the other.