Saturday, April 28, 2012

Second Grade Cursive (a poem)


Second Grade Cursive

Miss Rice passed out worksheets
of cursive l’s spaced like soldiers

commanded us to copy.
I dragged my pencil up and down

left almonds in the middle.
Marty Brewster finished first

his scrawls like deflated balloons.
Even after he redid his letters

I still gripped my pencil
the little fish slowly blooming

life no longer balls and sticks
now muddled into loops and angles.

Questions:
  1. Should I leave the lowercase l in the opening stanza? That's the cursive letter I'm describing in the poem, but would a capital L make more sense?
  2. Although I usually use commas in my poetry, I decided not to in this one. Would the poem's readability improve if I added commas, or are the line breaks enough?
  3.  Does the title work? I originally titled this poem "Learning Cursive" and had the second grade information in the body of the poem itself.

No comments: