Monday, April 2, 2012

Teaching v. Coaching

I attended a wonderful workshop today. The speaker was dynamic, engaging, and informative. I will take what I learned and apply it to my classroom this week.

Throughout his presentation, the speaker (a former principal, teacher, and coach) occasionally used the example of a coach teaching his athletes. Mentally, I called apples and oranges.

Here are some basics:
  • Coaches work with a limited number of players. They usually have at least one assistant coach as well. I can't even tell you how many total football coaches we have at the high school where I teach.
  • Teachers, meanwhile, usually go it alone in the classroom. This semester I actually have a student teacher, but that is an exception. Most secondary teachers face 120+ students a day without any backup.
  • Coaches cut players from the team. Some make varsity, some don't.
  • Teachers are required to teach every single student assigned to them.
  • Coaches hold practices longer than the typical class period.
  • Teachers do not get to hold longer classes, and they must contend with absences and interruptions.
  • Coaches work with students who inherently love the sport.
  • Teachers work with students who may or may not love the subject they teach.
  • Coaches are assessed multiple times throughout the season by their team's record.
  • Teachers are assessed one time by their students' scores on a single test at the end of the school year.